Wondering how to find your dream career? Achieving the desires of a lifetime often requires an unquenchable spirit, sweat, and energy well beyond what we think is possible or even reasonable. These prerequisites culminate in one overriding quality: undying commitment.
So how do we know when we are committed enough? Easy… whenever we achieve what we set out to do, as the individuals making up the melody for this five-part “symphony of temporary setbacks” so harmoniously demonstrate:
- Cyrus H.K. Curtis lost over $800,000 on the Saturday Evening Post before his initial investment even returned a measly $1 profit.
- Marathoner Joan Benoit underwent knee surgery only 17 days before the U.S. Olympic trials. Her determination enabled her to not only make the team, but also to capture the first-ever Olympic gold medal for her event.
- The great Fran Tarkenton was told he was too small to be a quarterback, too slow on his feet, and too weak to take the punishment. However, this young man from Georgia’s diehard efforts resulted in the longest running reign for a quarterback in NFL history.
- Michelangelo endured seven long years lying flat on his back on a scaffold to paint the Sistine Chapel.
- In 1902, the poetry editor of the Atlantic Monthly returned the work of a 28-year old poet with the following note: “Our magazine has no room for your vigorous verse.” Robert Frost persevered.
Let these above examples inspire you to know how to find your dream career. We may never write legendary poetry, win Olympic gold, invent a new product, or start a multimillion-dollar magazine. But whatever our dreams are, the willingness to commit until we conqueror will determine if our “symphony of setbacks” ends on a high or a low note.
COACHING TIP: Exchanging Setbacks For Success
The above article shows how some world famous individuals and organizations used their setbacks to fuel lasting success by internalizing the following three principles:
- Achieving the desires of a lifetime requires an undying commitment well beyond what we think is possible or even reasonable.
- We know when we are committed enough to our dreams, whenever we finally achieve what we set out to do.
- Our willingness to commit until we conqueror determines if our life’s “symphony of setbacks” ends on a high or a low note.
Copyright ©1998 - 2017 Joel Garfinkle, All Rights Reserved.
JOEL GARFINKLE is recognized as one of the top 50 coaches in the U.S., and the author of 7 books, including Land Your Dream Job. He provides a step-by-step Dream Job process that has guided thousands of clients to find the perfect job and reach career fulfillment. For Career Coaching Services, visit Dream Job Coaching.
This article may be reprinted or forwarded to colleagues and friends as long as the above copyright notice and contact information is attached in its entirety.
If you reprint this article, please advise us that you have done so and forward a copy of the article, or a link to the web page where the article can be viewed, to Joel Garfinkle.